Pages

Thursday 1 May 2014

Little Me - Step by Step

Hi There Scrappy Chat Friends,

It's Renee here, to share with you a layout I have made using the April Kit.

This is my second layout, out of 3 that I have made using this super trendy kit!!

Love the colors I got to play with in this layout.


Thought I would make this post a step by step for the background.
As you can see, I used the patterned paper as the backing sheet, but I cut the centre out to mat the photo.
Then I cut 10mm off all sides of the Kaiser cardstock.

Step 1. I used white gesso to create the start of the background.  I used a sponge to begin with.
Making the pattern as per the picture below.


Step 2.  I was not happy with the color that I ended up with.  I found the color from the cardstock
ran into the gesso and it came out orange instead of white. 
So I decided to try a fixative on the page to stop the color running.
When you spray the fixative, make sure you go outside, it is really strong.


Step 3.  You only need to let this fixative dry for 10 minutes.
Not happy with the sponging, I decided to use a paint brush to get a more even 
shading of the white gesso.
I allowed it to dry.
Some of the color still ran and it was a little orange still, but I was beginning to like where it was going.
I then thought it may be a good idea to incorporate the light pink into it.
I used a Faber Castell gelato - (the color was guava).
I used it like a crayon over the white areas.
Then with a wet paintbrush, I blended it in.

Step 4.  I thought it was time to bring some black into the background.
I decided to use black gesso (but you can also use black paint) and textured paste.
I mixed them together to get a paste.
And using the stencil, I made the following pattern.


Now this was all trial and error.
My paste was too thin and it smudged into the pattern and under the stencil.
Allow to dry.
Once it was dry I thought that it looked a little funky and I was happy with the outcome.

Step 5.  I wanted to make some shapes on the background, to give the layout some shapes.
I used some square shapes and drew around them with my Faber-Castell black PITT big brush pen (but you could use a sharpie).
I used the cardboard from the back of an October Afternoon 7 x 7 paper pad.
I also used two acrylic stamp blocks as well.


Step 6.  I used black ink to go around the border of my patterned paper background. 
Then my layout background.
Then stick the background onto the patterned paper.

Step 7. Matt photos and use all the embellishments that I had cut out of the patterned paper from the kit.
And black ink around those borders too.

Step 7. Adhere all the paper pieces.
Attach your title.
Journalling is on the bottom of the background.
And I added some Shimmerz spots at the end.
And you are done.

Here are a couple of close-ups.



Had loads of fun making this layout.
I was tested a few times as I thought I had wrecked my layout a couple of times.
But you can always make modifications to adjust it if you need to.


No comments:

Post a Comment